Instructions for Participation
I am the living bread that came down from heaven, says the Lord;
whoever eats this bread will live forever.
While we continue to shelter in place, we will offer the opportunity to receive Holy Eucharist after our livestream Mass on Sundays — we hope you will be able to join us! On this page are details on how to receive Holy Communion on Sundays.
When and Where
Sundays from 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
St. Joseph Catholic Church
43148 Mission Blvd.
Fremont, CA. 94539
- The obligation to attend Mass remains dispensed for all Catholics in the Diocese of Oakland.
- If you are elderly, ill, at risk of illness, or concerned about becoming ill, please stay home. Protect yourself and protect others. Visit the CDC website for signs and symptoms of COVID-19.
- Your preparation (as individuals and a family) to receive the Eucharist is very important. Please join us from your homes for our live stream Mass at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday morning prior to coming to St. Joseph's for Holy Communion.
For Your Safety
- Everyone over the age of 2 must wear face masks at all times while on church property.
- Social distancing is required. Please maintain at least 6 feet distance between yourself and your neighbors. Ground markings will help you with this.
When You Arrive
- Please enter the parking lot at the southern-most Mission Blvd. entrance, between the Old Mission and the main church. This will help to ensure the safety of all.
- For our mobility-challenged visitors - Please park along the east side of the parking lot so we can more easily see you. Remain in your vehicle and Holy Communion will be brought to you.
- Holy Communion will be distributed outside the church on the east (parking lot) side. Once you have parked your vehicle, please walk to the Communion stations. If there is a line, a greeter may ask you to wait in a designated waiting area. Please note the markings on the ground and remain a safe social distance from each other while waiting your turn. If the waiting area is too full, you may be asked to wait in your car for a brief time.
- While waiting, please maintain a sense of quiet prayer and reverence.
Receiving Holy Communion
- Once you reach the front of the line, an usher will direct you to one of the Communion Stations, where you will receive Holy Communion. Family groups who live together and arrive in the same car are welcome to receive together.
- If you are wearing gloves, you must remove them before receiving Eucharist.
- The Cup with Precious Blood will not be available.
- It is preferred that you receive the Host in your hands for the time being.
- Please keep your face mask on until after the priest or minister has placed the Host in your hand. To receive the Host, place one hand under the other while keeping fingers together. The minister will gently place the Host in your hands without making contact. After receiving the Host, step to one side, lift your mask, consume the Host, and then put your mask back on immediately after.
After Receiving Holy Communion
- After receiving Holy Communion, please return back to your car and depart. The church will not be open for individual prayer during this time.
- Although it will be wonderful to see your neighbors, for the safety of all we ask that you not congregate with others.
- Please drive carefully and watch closely for your fellow parishioners who may be on foot in the parking lot.