Home

 

Mission San JoseSaint Joseph Parish
Old Mission San Jose
Founded 1797

We Welcome You to Join Us in Our Mission.

History

At the Ohlone Indian village of Oroysom, Padre Fermin Francisco de Lasuen founded this fourteenth of twenty-one Franciscan missions June 11, 1797. Taught by Padre Narciso Duran, the Ohlone orchestra and choir became famous. By 1830 almost 2,000 Indians were living at the mission. The 1868 earthquake destroyed the adobe church and most other mission buildings. The church was rebuilt in 1985. Further details about our history can be found here and additional photographs here.

Charity

As a great man named Abraham Lincoln said, "with malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have born the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations."

This independence day season let us find ways to make Abraham Lincoln's words relevant today through charity to others. Please have a blessed and safe 4th of July.

Please join us at Mass as we celebrate this holy season and find ways we can be inspired by Jesus's love.

Today, Saint Joseph Parish/Old Mission San Jose is an active and faith filled parish with many ministries to participate in. See the vision we share in our parish family. Please join us for Mass or visit the Mission Museum open daily 10am-5pm (510-657-1797).

Resources

News

Our Sister Parish in Guatemala

  • Please read more here about the parish, this important project, and how you can help!

 

Celebrate our past.
Give a gift to our future.
Click here for Electronic Giving (EFT)

St. Joseph Address

  Copyright 2006-2019 |  All Rights Reserved | Saint Joseph Parish | Login | RSS Feeds: News Photos Web pages